Saturday, February 15, 2014

In the Works!

Currently being digitized and graded are two 18th century patterns to add to the Larkin & Smith Historic Pattern collection.  One is an 18th century Child's Gown.  I had so much fun creating the prototype for the little girl's gown, it was not work, but pure pleasure.  I was obsessed to get it done.

The fabric that I found for this gown is amazing. It has been in my stash for a while, waiting for the perfect project.  Not only does it have brocaded flowers, but the flowers vary in the direction they facing.  What is so amazing about that?  Well, it allowed me to match the fronts in a way that would be impossible in motifs that all look the same way.  I had to waste a bit of fabric, but to get that visual, it was worth it.  I only had 2 yards of 54 inch wide fabric, 2.5 would have been ideal, so I ended up having to piece one of the back skirt panels.  Of course, a period solution that would bother no one in the 18th century, so it does not bother me either. (liar, it does, but it is ok)



You can see on the bodice front how the flowers are facing each other.  This fabric would have made an amazing gown for anyone, but alas, it was only a remnant. The flowers are brocaded on a striped satin ground.



Because all the seams are so small, this gown was hand sewn in approximately 10 hours. There are eyelets at the back of the gown, which slowed me down a bit.  Plus, I was taking photos of each step of construction along the way.

The pattern was taken from an original in my collection.   I had this on display at the last Hive, and must admit I was pleased at the response to my darling little girl.





4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Lauren, the fabric is even more amazing than it photographs. A rare find.

      Delete
  2. Hallie, I can't wait! Dori is growing like a weed and I have fabric waiting until we get a little closer to the season here. Any idea when the pattern will be for sale?
    Dawn M.

    ReplyDelete