Tuesday, February 11, 2014

What We Couldn't Fit In!

In an effort to provide more information than we could have possibly included in our English Gown Pattern, it was decided to set up some pages to support that extra content.



18th Century Costume Bibliography


First we have included a more extensive costume bibliography than in the pattern.  It just was not feasible to include everything, so a decision was made to only list a few pertinent books and point to this link for the remainder.  Don't forget about interlibrary loan, we can't own them all!

Yes, it is my bookcase. Head down in  shame at the shambles as I write this. 

Working With a Pattern


People come in all shapes and sizes, so one size does not fit all. Common adjustments such as lengthening or shortening the waist, expanding the sleeve and adjusting the shoulder strap are addressed. Just throwing more into a seam allowance is not a good technique to alter a pattern.  General tips for working with patterns too.  All you need is paper, a ruler and a pair of scissors. It is easy!  

Gown FAQ's


This will be a work in progress, as I solicit 18th c newcomers and seamstresses to feed me more questions.  If you can think of some that I have not, please let me know and I will get them on the page. If you have a question, chances are someone else will too.


1 comment:

  1. This is great. I just got your pattern yesterday. I haven't decided on fabric yet, but it's so nice to have such clear directions and web site information

    ReplyDelete